Farm Progress Show
Visit the Illinois Department of Agriculture Tent
at the Farm Progress Show on Aug. 29-31 in Decatur
As an advocate for the agricultural industry and regulatory agency to benefit consumers, industry and the state’s natural resources, the Illinois Department of Agriculture (IDOA) also works to promote agribusiness in Illinois and throughout the world.
“The Illinois Department of Agriculture is excited to once again bring IDOA professionals to the Farm Progress Show for face-to-face dialog,” Director Jerry Costello II said. “We often hear from those in our ag communities via email or phone, so to be able to put a face with a name is something we always look forward to.”
Besides meeting some of our staff in person, the Illinois Department of Agriculture Tent on Lot 30W also will feature:
- Distribution of 840 tags for FREE,
- Hand out of multiple giveaways, including FREE Illinois Product bags, Buy Local stickers and pollinator seed packets,
- Giveaway FREE kids activities, including pig and chicken crafts and a coloring book, and
- A Hemp Display.
IDOA professionals will be available to answer questions on a variety of topics ranging from anhydrous ammonia and the Grain Insurance Fund to pesticides and invasive species, food safety, cannabis and hemp regulation, and egg inspection.
The tent also will host representatives from the USDA, Field Watch and the Illinois State Treasurer's Office. The IDOA representatives who will be available in the tent will be from these bureaus:
- Weights and Measures: Look for displays of the trucks used to test volume for motor fills and equipment used to inspect grain moisture testers.
- Ag Products Inspection: Find information on the new training requirements and on farm storage for anhydrous ammonia.
- Environmental Programs: Staff can answer dicamba questions and talk about pollinator protection. There also will be information on pesticide testing and licensing.
- Land and Water Resources: Look for information on the Fall Cover for Spring Savings program, nutrient loss reduction strategy updates, the latest on Partners for Conservation and impact mitigation information as it relates to new wind, solar, pipeline and electrical projects.
- Animal Health and Welfare: Staff will be on hand to distribute 840 tags (FREE), answer questions on the avian flu, premises registration, animal ID, traceability and disease programs, and humane animal care.
- Warehouses: Find information on how to request a grain elevator’s license certificate and how to be sure elevators and other entities are licensed and covered by the Illinois Grain Insurance Fund.
- Meat and Poultry Inspection: Inspectors, supervisors and veterinarians will answer questions on food safety, storage and preparation of meat and poultry.
- Marketing, Promotion and Grants: Applications will be available for the centennial, sesquicentennial and bicentennial farm programs. Also look for applications for the Homegrown by Heroes program, information on the Agri-Tourism Tax Credit program and the Illinois Product Logo Program.
After reviewing everything in the tent, please settle into a rocking chair and sit a spell on our porch. We look forward to chatting with you and answering your questions at the 2023 Farm Progress Show!