Agritourism Liability Insurance Tax Credit
Agritourism provides Illinoisans and visitors with unique experiences while connecting the public with hands-on agricultural experiences.
For taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2022, and ending on or before December 31, 2023, any individual or entity that operates an agritourism operation in the State during the taxable year shall be entitled to a tax credit against the tax imposed by subsections (a) and (b) of Section 201 equal to the lesser of 100% of the liability insurance premiums paid by that individual or entity during the taxable year or $1,000.
Agritourism operation an individual or entity that carries out agricultural activities on agricultural property and allows members of the general public, for recreational, entertainment, or educational purposes, to view or enjoy those activities.
Agritourism activities includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- historic, cultural, and on-site educational programs;
- guided and self-guided tours, including school tours;
- animal exhibitions or petting zoos;
- agricultural crop mazes, such as corn or flower mazes;
- harvest-your-own or U-pick operations;
- horseback or pony rides; and
- hayrides or sleigh rides.
Agritourism activities DO NOT include the following activities:
- amusement rides;
- off-road biking or motorized off-highway or all-terrain vehicle activities;
- boating, swimming, canoeing, hiking, camping, skiing, bounce houses, or similar activities; or
- entertainment venues such as weddings or concerts.
Deadline to apply for 2022 Tax Year is February 28, 2023
To certify for the Agritourism Tax Credit, please complete the application found at the link below:
Please email any questions to AGR.AgritourismTax@illinois.gov.